Two Brothers Waiting for a Sister
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 4

If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden. - Claudia Ghandi

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The wait

I haven't been updating my blog for a while now. For some reason, this blog was a constant reminder of the long wait we still have ahead of us before Mia joins our family. And although I always try keeping a positive attitude towards this wait, it affects me so much more than I ever thought it would.


We have been waiting for Mia for 3 years now...and I think we still have a 2 year wait ahead of us. Most of our family and friends have stopped asking about our adoption, and I can totally understand why. So much time has passed since we first embarked on our journey. I think most people stop asking, thinking it might hurt us to talk about it. If they only knew how we gush with happiness everytime somebody enquires about Mia. I carry Mia in my heart like I carried the boys in my belly. She is there, yet invisible to everybody.


Yesterday, my sister sent me an email. She will never know to what extent I was touched by her words. I would like to share a part of this email with you :


''Today I went to Cost Plus and spotted a ladybug ornament in their Easter section and was immediately drawn to it and decided to buy two--one for me and one for you. On my walk back home I started to think about you, Steve and the boys and what this adoption means to all of you.  I started to wonder how I would feel if I were in your shoes and I immediately started to tear up and became very overwhelmed just thinking about how long it has been since you started this process, wondering when you would get word and then thinking about the child that would be part of your family.  I don't think I fully appreciated, until today when I paused and really thought about it, what that wait means to you every day nor can I fully begin to understand how emotionally trying this must be for you.  I often catch myself thinking "oh! jeez, I didn't ask her about the adoption when we talked" or "I wonder how she's doing today" as I hang up the phone when we talk.   I always say to myself, "I'll ask her next time I call her". Sometimes I ask, other times I don't. So, I decided to put the ladybug in my son's room, somewhere where I would see it every day and be reminded of what the ladybug represents; even if I don't ask you about the adoption or how you're doing, I think about you every day, support you through this process and will keep my ladybug until the day my niece is home with her family.  I'm there for you, Kathy and I will listen to you when you need to talk, cry, laugh and vent. I've been meaning to say these things to you for a while, maybe even assuming that you already knew these things but sometimes I little reminder is always helpful. I love you!''


I'm so lucky to have her as my sister and friend. This email means more than she will ever know.


I love you Debby!




debbw

1 comments:

Debby Couture said...

I love you too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails